I made these cupcakes for my boyfriend's nan's birthday. I didn't have a piping bag to pipe the butter cream icing on but apart from that I think these cupcakes are really cute and they taste good too! Here is how I made them.
- 110g Butter or Margerine at room temperature
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large free-range Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 1 Tea Spoon Vanilla Extract
- 110g Self raising Flour
- 1-2 Tbsp Milk
- 140g Softened Butter
- 280g Icing Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoon Milk
- A few drops of food colouring
- - Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. I went for girly pink polka dot ones.
- - Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- - Fold in the flour using a wooden spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- - Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden-brown on top. Remove them from the tin and put them on a wire rack to let them cool down (or put them by a window like I did.)
- - For the butter cream icing beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- - Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- - Add the food colouring and mix until well combined. I went for bright pink.
- - I tried to make a piping bag out of baking paper but it went horribly wrong, instead you should spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl.
- These are really easy to make and look really pretty, I also got some little flowers to decorate them. Enjoy :)
For the Butter cream icing