Saturday 12 March 2016

Things To Do When Your Feeling Down

It happens to the best of us, we all get days when we don't feel like our usual happy little selves. We're only human, it's ok to feel that way but there are some things we can do to make these times a little easier and cheer ourselves up.


Relaxing Bath
I have actually just done this myself before sitting down to write this (see picture above).  I lit some candles, took up a hot chocolate, put some nice bubble bath in and had a nice little chill out. I also took some chocolate. It instantly lifts your mood and makes you feel relaxed.

Listen to music
Listening to your favourite songs or something upbeat that you can have a dance to will instantly lift your mood. Concentrating on the song and singing along to it stops you from thinking anything negative.

Meditation
Having anxiety I have tried various meditation apps and meditations. My favourite apps are Calm and Headspace. Headspace only takes 10 minutes of your time, it brings you into the present moment and helps you to stop over thinking and see the positive in life. This app has helped me alot and I especially like the little animations. I tend to over think at times which is where meditation helps me, it also helps me to fall asleep.

Read a good book
I used to enjoy reading as a child but as an adult I haven't found the time but recently I have made the effort to get a couple of books and read them. It really helps to relax my mind and occupy it with something else.

Go for a walk
If there has been a day where I have been in the house or I am feeling quite anxious, I like to put my Ipod on and go for a walk. You don't have to walk miles but getting some fresh air will help to improve your mood.

Bake
I enjoy baking when I am feeling down, I like to make something I haven't made before or bake somebody a present.

Plan things to look forward to
This is a good one, it help you to realise that this negative feeling won't last and give you something to look forward to. Meet up with a friend and you can plan things together, it could be a shopping trip, a mini break or a trip to the theatre to see your favourite musical.

Write down how you feel
I like to keep a diary, I don't write in it every night but it helps me keep my feelings in check. Any negativity is let out of my head and onto the page. I draw little pictures and just write down all of my feelings whether they are good or bad.

Do something you enjoy doing
I am a full believer of doing what you love, this can be a hobby or just something you enjoy. You could also take up something new like learning a language or learning to play an instrument. Really get stuck into whatever it is and don't let anything stop you.

Most importantly don't be hard on yourself, pick out the positive things and remember that these feelings will pass. Think of them like a black rain cloud making way for the bright blue sunny sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment